Gate at Mother Emanuel AME

Day 3: Charleston South Carolina

Advertisements Charleston, South Carolina was originally called Charles Towne (for Charles II). The town was established by English colonists in 1670 on the west bank of the Ashley river, thus beginning the colonization of South Carolina. In 1722, it was briefly incorporated as Charles City and Port, and in 1783 it was reincorporated as Charleston.