In June, we are beginning a new series titled Trini’s Livin’ In Xisle to highlight the narratives, experiences and achievements of Trinidadians and Tobagonians residing overseas. The purpose of this series is to showcase these Trinbagonians and share their enunciated stories with the world!
Trinidad Immigrants (Trini’s In Xisle)
In 2017, it is estimated 235,000 persons migrated from Trinidad and Tobago to the United States, with the majority of these new Trini’s Livin’ In Xisle were “likely to be employed in management, business, science, and arts occupations (37 percent). However, those from Haiti (38 percent) and the Dominican Republic (34 percent) were the most like to be in service occupations.”
[In addition,] immigrants from Trinidad and Tobago (27 percent) and Jamaica (24 percent) had the highest share of college graduates, while one-third (33 percent) of immigrants from the Dominican Republic did not graduate from high school.Source: https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/caribbean-immigrants-united-states
Favor Films A Trini Livin’ In Xisle
Our inaugural portrait is on a Trinidadian called Kourage. Kourage immigrated to the United States when he was eight years old and currently lives in California. In addition, he is the founder and artistic executive of Favor Films. Stephen, aka Kourage, is one of the most in-demand photographers in the Riverside, California region. He is utilising his enthusiasm for art and his photography expertise to build his business and his label Favor Films (Instagram @FavorFilms). Here is his brief profile:
- Name: Stephen Trini Flores
- Migrated from Trinidad: 8 years old.
- Earliest memory of Trinidad: 5 to 6 years old.
- Misses most about Trinidad: Both grandmas and plums!
- What are you most afraid of right now: Looking old.
- The happiest moment of your Life: When it would rain at Maracas beach and I was in the water.
- The saddest moment of your life: When I couldn’t make it to my grandma’s funeral in Trinidad in my early 20’s.
- Who is the most influential person in your life: My sister.
- Do you plan on returning to Trinidad to live and why: I feel like I should return just because I started there. Plus the weather and food are great.
Do you want to be featured in the Trini’s Livin’ In X-isle series? Participation only requires five (5) minutes of your time to complete the 10-question survey @ http://bit.ly/Trinis-In-X-Isle. Each week I will feature one Trini’s Livin’ In X-isle submission on TriniInXisle.
The Trini’s Livin’ In X-isle blog entry with the most engagements online will be awarded USD 50 inclusive of shipping towards purchasing merchandise on the eStore.
In conclusion, if you are interested in participating or know of other Trinidadians living abroad; share the survey http://bit.ly/Trinis-In-X-Isle link.
You must log in to post a comment.